Syrian Kurdish official: deal for Syrian army to enter Afrin

Syrian Kurdish forces and the Damascus government have reached an agreement for the Syrian army to enter the Afrin region to help repel a Turkish offensive, a senior Kurdish official said on Sunday.

Badran Jia Kurd, an adviser to the Kurdish-led administration in northern Syria, told Reuters army troops would deploy along some border positions and could enter the region within the next two days.

The deal underscores the increasingly tangled battlefield in northern Syria, driven by a web of rivalries and alliances among Kurdish forces, the Syrian government, rebel factions, Turkey, the United States and Russia.

The complex relationship between the Damascus government and Syrian Kurdish forces, which each holds more territory than any other side in the war, will be pivotal in how the conflict unfolds.

Ankara launched an air and ground offensive on Afrin last month targeting the Kurdish YPG militia, which it views as a terrorist group with links to an armed insurrection in Turkey.

Turkey’s NATO ally the United States has armed the YPG as part of an alliance it backs in Syria against Daesh. But while Washington has a military presence in the much larger swathes of Syria that the YPG and its allies control further east, it has not given support to the YPG in Afrin.

“We can cooperate with any side that lends us a helping hand in light of the barbaric crimes and the international silence,” Jia Kurd said.

There was no immediate comment from the Syrian military.

When asked about the reported deal, YPG spokesman Nouri Mahmoud repeated an earlier statement that said the Syrian army had yet to respond to their calls to help protect Afrin.

Read More: Gaza after the rain

Although Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government and the YPG have mostly avoided direct conflict, they have occasionally clashed and they espouse utterly different visions for Syria’s future.

While both have at times suggested a long-term agreement between them might be possible, Assad says he wants to take back the whole country.

Jia Kurd said the agreement with Damascus on Afrin was purely military and included no wider political arrangements.

“When it comes to the political and administrative matters in the region, it will be agreed upon with Damascus in the later stages through direct negotiations and discussions,” he said.

He added that there was opposition to the deal which could stand in the way: “We don’t know to what extent these understandings will last because there are sides that are not satisfied and want to make (them) fail.”

The Syrian government has allowed some Kurdish fighters, civilians and politicians to reach Afrin through its territory, representatives of both sides have told Reuters in recent weeks.

Since the onset of Syria’s conflict in 2011, the YPG and its allies have set up three autonomous cantons in the north, including Afrin bordering Turkey. Their sphere of influence expanded as they seized territory from Daesh with US help, though Washington opposes their political ambitions as does the Syrian government.

The Turkish army began its direct intervention in northern Syria in August 2016, backing Syrian insurgents in an offensive to push Daesh from its border and to stop the YPG linking Afrin to other territory further east.

Turkey has said it could expand its assault to those areas and last week renewed its demands for the YPG to pull out of all parts of Syria west of the Euphrates.

Since October, it has also played a role in the rebel-held Idlib province bordering Afrin, as part of a diplomatic process pushed by Assad’s ally Russia via talks in Astana, Kazakhstan.

A Kurdish political official familiar with the deal on Afrin said on Sunday that it was possible Russia would object to the agreement as complicating its own diplomatic efforts with Turkey.

The post Syrian Kurdish official: deal for Syrian army to enter Afrin appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

Protest in Tunisia against normalisation with Israeli occupation

Twelve parties, a non-governmental organisation and a Tunisian association have demonstrated on Sunday in the centre of the capital after a long stand in front of the statue of Ibn Khaldun, and demanded “Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the State of Palestine.” The protest was organised by the National Coordination Committee for the Criminalization of Normalization with the Israeli Occupation.

Citizens from all the governorates in Tunisia have taken part in the march. They raised Palestinian and Tunisian flags and chanted that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of Palestine. They also called for the criminalisation of normalisation with the occupation.

The National Coordination Committee for the Criminalization of Normalization with the Israeli Occupation held its first meeting earlier this month, in the presence of representatives of Tunisian parties and NGOs in order to further establish the reality of belonging to Tunisia, Palestine, and Jerusalem.

Read More: Iranian president pledges to stick to nuclear deal commitments

They also called for the criminalisation of normalisation through a law which is expected to be voted on in the Tunisian People’s Assembly on the 20th of this month.

A statement issued by the meeting stressed that “Zionism represents a threat to Tunisia, and that the Zionist movement is aimed at controlling all the Arab countries within the new Middle East regime.”

The statement added that the enactment of the law which criminalises normalisation will strongly support Palestine, its people, and its cause; the Palestinian people who sacrificed with thousands of martyrs and thousands of wounded and detainees. The statement also reminded of the Palestinian people’s sacrifices in order to defend them.

The statement concluded by stressing that the US administration’s decision to declare Jerusalem as the “capital of the occupation” and the transfer of the US embassy to it confirms the unity of the aggressor front against Palestine and its people. The statement equally stressed on the importance of unity in this case to establish power. It also underlined the need to unify the different Tunisian forces to face such challenges.

 

The post Protest in Tunisia against normalisation with Israeli occupation appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

(H2) GBPUSD (LONG)

(H2) GBPUSD (LONG)


– DESCRIPTION –

Ichimoku cloud still showing a strong bullish trend
– Price has reached and consolidated at 38.2 (1.40139) fib level
– 1.40139 level of support is also acting as a very strong support level

– CURRENT STATISTICS –

– Number of Trades: 1
– Status of Trades: 0 – Active / 0 – Wins / 0 – Losses
– Current Net Return: 0%

– TRADE INFO –

– Target 1: 1.41449
– Target 2: 1.42386

The post (H2) GBPUSD (LONG) appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

Former Tunisian minister calls for popular referendum

Former Tunisian Minister of Religious Affairs, Nourredine Khadmi, called for “a popular referendum as a constitutional mechanism to resolve the issue of equality in inheritance in accordance with the people’s will and in application of the state’s citizenship.”

The official Tunisian news agency TAP quoted Khadmi’s statements in which he stressed that “The issue of equality in inheritance is a matter of disagreement.”

He also stressed that “the issue of inheritance is clear in religious texts, and that all religions have religious reference in terms of legal status.”

Read More: Public reports ‘clearly show’ Assad’s use of chemical weapons – McMaster

Khadmi added that “Inheritance is not based on being male or female, and there are more than 30 cases in which women inherit more than men.”

Last summer, Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi for the first time introduced the issue of equal rights for men and women in all fields, including inheritance. He also demanded a change in an administrative decree which was issued during the rule Habib Bourguiba (1957-1987), and which prevents the Tunisian woman’s marriage to a foreigner unless he declares his conversion to Islam.

Essebsi decided to form a committee on “individual freedoms and equality” to prepare a report on reforms related to individual freedoms and equality.

The Tunisian presidential initiative has provoked an internal and external jurisprudencial and political debates, to the point that Al-Azhar Mosque intervened in it.

 

The post Former Tunisian minister calls for popular referendum appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

descending wedge

descending wedge

STEEM / Bitcoin POLONIEX:STEEMBTC


Hello!
Please immediately take into account, this is only my own opinion!
At this site, we see a descending wedge , this is a fairly rare figure – a figure of a fracture of the trend.
We see the dying volume of trades during the formation of the figure, this indicates that the number of players who act in the direction of the previous trend is decreasing.
The breakdown of the wedge line of the figure should be accompanied by high volumes of trades, or by a significant increase in them.
We hope – at the breakdown of the resistance level and the subsequent growth.
The possibility of buying at:
1. Breakdown of the resistance level (upper red border)
1 option can only be considered after – the principle of level duality (the former resistance levels become support levels and vice versa), in this case can fly without retest of the support level .

The post descending wedge appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

Philippine lawyer wants ‘death squad president’ in court

Author: 
REUTERS
Sun, 2018-02-18 09:51
ID: 
1518977996490143600

MANILA: Philippine attorney Jude Sabio says he has not been home for a year, steers clear of public events and is forever looking over his shoulder after accusing President Rodrigo Duterte of crimes against humanity.
Sabio, a stocky 51 year old, says he lives in constant fear of reprisals after filing a complaint at the International Criminal Court (ICC) against the wildly popular Duterte, whose administration Filipinos rate as the best performing since opinion polls started in the 1980s.
A little-known lawyer until he filed the complaint last April, Sabio argues that the deaths of thousands of Filipinos in a brutal war on drugs is Duterte’s method of controlling crime, and that he used the tactic effectively during his 22 years as the mayor of Davao City in the south of the country.
Duterte has repeatedly denied ordering extra-judicial killings while mayor or president and reiterated this month that he would “gladly” go before the ICC. Court Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda had earlier said her office had started a preliminary examination into whether any crimes against humanity had been committed and if ICC had jurisdiction.
The step is the first in a process that could take years to complete, if at all. Since it was set up in 2002, the ICC has received more than 12,000 complaints or communications, just nine of which have gone to trial.
The Social Weather Station’s (SWS) latest quarterly poll shows Duterte’s trust rating bounced back to “excellent” in December from “very high” three months before. Another SWS poll gave his government the best rating so far for a Philippine administration
“When I went to The Hague I received so many threats,” Sabio told Reuters. “The (latest) announcement from the ICC, I’m also receiving threats. It’s many, I don’t want to read them.”
Presidential spokesman Harry Roque says “domestic enemies of the state” are behind Sabio’s complaint. Asked about Sabio’s safety, Roque said he should report threats to the police.
“We have no ill will against him,” he added. “We know it (the complaint) will not proceed beyond preliminary examination.”
In an interview, Sabio described Duterte as a “death squad president” who bragged in public about killing criminals and promised voters he would kill thousands in an anti-drug crackdown if elected.
Duterte earned the nickname “the Punisher” because of allegations he operated a death squad that killed more than 1,000 criminals when he was Davao mayor. He suggested during a televised presidential election debate in 2016 that more would die if he became president.

Main category: 

The post Philippine lawyer wants ‘death squad president’ in court appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading

Maldives protesters demand president’s arrest

Author: 
REUTERS
Sat, 2018-02-17 22:44
ID: 
1518977879200130100

MALE: Maldives police arrested 25 people under a state of emergency, opposition legislators said, after thousands of protesters gathered a day earlier to call for the detention of the president and release of opposition leaders.
The tiny Indian Ocean archipelago, best known for its luxury hotels and dive resorts, imposed a 15-day state of emergency on Feb. 5 to annul a Supreme Court ruling ordering the release of nine leading opposition figures.
Shortly after imposing the state of emergency, President Abdulla Yameen’s administration arrested two Supreme Court judges and detained former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom on allegations that he solicited bribes to topple the government.
Thousands gathered in locations across the 15 islands in protest on Friday to demand the arrest of the president and the enforcement of the court ruling to free the opposition leaders.
Ahmed Mahloof, a legislator from the main opposition Maldives Democratic Party (MDP), told Reuters 25 people, including two journalists, had been detained, based on numbers gathered via the party’s telephone hotline.
“Police have so far refused to tell us how many were arrested. We don’t have any access to them,” he said. “We don’t know where they are being held. Police has said they are arrested under state of emergency and that they don’t have to give the information.”
Raajee TV, an independent media outlet, said police had attacked journalists covering the Friday’s protests and said one had been treated for injuries.

Main category: 

The post Maldives protesters demand president’s arrest appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

Continue Reading